Pages

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

All You Chauvinistic Misogynists Out There...

Hey readers, I promised myself that I wouldn't use my blog as a soapbox, but something caught my attention tonight and it absolutely pissed me off. So here's the scene, I'm sitting in my dorm room, doing Latin homework when one of my roommates shoves her laptop at me and tells me to read an article. I read this article titled "50 Ways To Be the Perfect College Girlfriend" and I have never read a more misogynistic, boorish, underdeveloped, Cro-Magnon article in my life.

The disgusting article in question can be found here: http://totalfratmove.com/50-ways-to-be-the-perfect-college-girlfriend/

*disclaimer: I may be using language some find offensive, so please bear with me!*

Anyway, back to my point on this. To summarize said imbecilic article,the "perfect" college girlfriend would enjoy beer, be extremely attractive, not expect her boyfriend to be "Channing Tatum-esque", give blowjobs on a daily basis, swill beer like a tank, be proficient in the kitchen and not have any sense of individuality whatsoever.
Ok. Firstly, when are we as a civilization going to get out of this idiotic mindset that women belong in the kitchen and must look like runway models? More women are becoming CEOs, more women attend college, women are beginning to become the bread-earners in the household. Come on. The author of this appalling article has to grow up. The double standards in this article are mind-blowing and I'm absolutely incredulous. The girlfriend has to be hot, but can't expect the boyfriend to be and oh yeah, she has to have a hot mom. What? What what what? Stupid idiocy, that's all this is.
Secondly, this sh*t about sex. She has to be able to give blowjobs and some stupid comment pitches in "be open to threesomes" "a good girlfriend needs to do 71 things: cook, clean and 69". I could inject a number of colorful commentary on this, but I refrain. A woman is not a sexual object, she is not a toy, she is a living, breathing sentient being. Dehumanizing a person, woman or man is disgusting, incredibly stupid and devolved.
Thirdly, I am not a feminist per se, but I believe in gender equality. We need to stop holding men and women to these idiotic societal standards that media has constructed in our minds. We are all individuals with different hearts, minds and bodies. Our ambiguity is our greatest strength and truly, if we try to smother our ambiguity and our autonomy by trying to be something that society says is good, we lose who we are. The really sad part about this article is that its not unique. It's not something that only popped up once. We see this everyday: in comments on YouTube, on FaceBook, on memes, etc. We as a society need to stop promoting this kind of categorization and steady dehumanization of people. We proudly call ourselves the most sophisticated and civilized species on the planet, well I lost my faith in humanity upon reading this.
I'm off my soapbox now, sorry that you had to deal with this.
But remember, if everyone thinks someone else will step forward and make a difference, no one will.

No comments:

Post a Comment