Pages

Thursday, August 8, 2013

Settings

So in my previous post, I talked about the importance of having powerful and relatable characters in your story. To me, while this is the most important component of a good story, there are other factors to consider. My second rule of thumb is to not let the secondary components overwhelm you. To me, writing a good story is like operating a huge machine. There are many parts and gears in a story that touch and affect one another: plots create settings which set the stage for character development and on and on.



A huge thing for me as a fiction and fantasy writer is setting. I love creating my own environments and making my own rules because the world is of my making. However, I learned the hard way that it is extremely important to remember all the rules you create. This is the ultimate strength and weakness of fantasy/fiction settings. I find for me, it helps a lot to write a general summary of the setting itself and even sketch out a map, so that all your details correlate with one another. When you write a summary of the area, you can explain how it looks in certain regions, what are some rules you made about those regions (wild animals roam here, but there are forests there, etc) so if you ever forget the rules you made, you have something to refer to. This is just my suggestion for settings :) Agree, disagree, like, or dislike, let me know :)

No comments:

Post a Comment